21 Mar Recipe Corner: Spiced Carrot Soup
Posted at 09:40h in Recipe Corner
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 pound large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 2/3 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, stirred to loosen
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté about 2 minutes, stirring. Mix in carrots. Saute a few more minutes to begin softening and browning a bit.
- Add broth, cumin, cinnamon, and turmeric. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pan and stir in honey and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a drizzle of yogurt.